qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm: remove "boot=on|off" drive parameter compatib

From: Bruce Rogers
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm: remove "boot=on|off" drive parameter compatibility
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 09:39:47 -0600

 >>> On 10/1/2012 at 07:19 AM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 2012-10-01 11:31, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>>
>> It's not just about default configs. We need to validate if the
>> migration formats are truly compatible (qemu-kvm -> QEMU, the other way
>> around definitely not). For the command line switches, we could provide
>> a wrapper script that translates them into upstream format or simply
>> ignores them. That should be harmless to carry upstream.
>
> qemu-kvm has:
>
>  -no-kvm
>  -no-kvm-irqchip
>  -no-kvm-pit
>  -no-kvm-pit-reinjection
>  -tdf <- does nothing
>
> There are replacements for all of the above.  If we need to add them to
> qemu.git, it's not big deal to add them.
>
>  -drive ...,boot= <- this is ignored
>
> cpu_set command for CPU hotplug which is known broken in qemu-kvm.
>
> testdev which is nice but only used for development
>
> Default nic is rtl8139 vs. e1000.
>
> Some logic to move change the default VGA ram size to 16mb for pc-1.2
> (QEMU uses 16mb by default now too).
>
> I think at this point, none of this matters but I added the various
> distro maintainers to the thread.
>
> I think it's time for the distros to drop qemu-kvm and just ship
> qemu.git.  Is there anything else that needs to happen to make that
> switch?

We are seriously considering moving to qemu.git for our SP3 release of
SUSE SLES 11. There are just a handful of patches that provide the backwards
compatibility we need to maintain (default to kvm, default nic model,
vga ram size), so assuming there is a 100% commitment to fully supporting
kvm in qemu going forward (which I don't doubt) I think this is a good time
for us to make that switch.

Bruce