qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 01/18] pc: create "PC" device class

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 01/18] pc: create "PC" device class
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 18:00:23 +0200

Am 04.10.2012 15:50, schrieb Paolo Bonzini:
>> So the general problem with this approach is that it strays from
>> modeling hardware.
>
> It doesn't really; it's a motherboard object, there's no reason why
> /machine shouldn't be a Device itself, with a few objects (CPUs, the
> i440FX, the IOAPIC, and of course the peripherals) hanging off it.

On the other hand, why should it? We'd have QEMUMachine::reset vs.
DeviceState::reset then and I don't see an immanent need for gpio / irqs
on the mainboard either (on evaluation boards there are, but they are
usually properties of the SoC modelling-wise).

If we want to bundle objects, we have a dedicated Container type;
otherwise we could just derive from TYPE_OBJECT directly.

In the end it just goes back to our attempt to generalize the properties
mechanisms and/or to a lack of APIs to do exactly what we want... ;)

Andreas