qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 01/18] pc: create "PC" device class

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 01/18] pc: create "PC" device class
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 11:43:59 -0300

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 09:28:13AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> >> So the general problem with this approach is that it strays from
> >> modeling hardware.
> >
> > It doesn't really; it's a motherboard object, there's no reason why
> > /machine shouldn't be a Device itself, with a few objects (CPUs, the
> > i440FX, the IOAPIC, and of course the peripherals) hanging off it.
>
> Okay, but modeling a motherboard is different than creating a "PC"
> object and throwing in the kitchen skink.
>
> And I'm not sure that going top-down is the best strategy.  I think
> going bottom up makes more sense (starting with modeling Super IO chip).

So, would you be OK with this implementation if the class were named
"Motherboard", "set-of-CPU-sockets", or something like that?

(The change on the APIC ID generation logic is not something that
affects only individual CPUs or APICs, but the fw_cfg NUMA & CPU hotplug
code as well, that's why I don't think "contiguous_apic_ids" should be a
property of CPU or APIC objects).

--
Eduardo