qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Using PCI config space to indicate config location

From: Rusty Russell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Using PCI config space to indicate config location
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:13:25 +1030

"Michael S. Tsirkin" <address@hidden> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 08:36:12AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> Rusty Russell <address@hidden> writes:

>> > This was closer to the original proposal[1], which I really liked (you
>> > can layout bars however you want).  Anthony thought that vendor
>> > capabilities were a PCI-e feature, but it seems they're blessed in PCI
>> > 2.3.
>>
>> 2.3 was standardized in 2002.  Are we confident that vendor extensions
>> play nice with pre-2.3 OSes like Win2k, WinXP, etc?

2.2 (1998) had the capability IDs linked list, indicated by bit 4 in the
status register, but reserved ids 7 and above.  ID 9 (vendor specific)
was added in 2.3; it should be ignored, but will require testing of
course, like any change.

2.1 didn't have the capability ID linked list at all; bit 4 in the
status register was reserved.

QEMU's pci.c has capability support, and sets the capabiliy status bit
and list pointer when the driver requests (eg. the eepro100).

> Pre 2.3 it was the case that *all* space outside
> the capability linked list, and any capability not
> recognized by space, was considered vendor specific.
> So there's no problem really.

Oh in theory, sure.  In practice, almost certainly.  But this needs to
be proved with actual testing.

Cheers,
Rusty.