qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 3/7] memory: iommu support

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 3/7] memory: iommu support
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:45:41 +1100

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 15:42 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 11/10/2012 15:26, Avi Kivity ha scritto:
> > +struct MemoryRegionIOMMUOps {
> > +    /* Returns a TLB entry that contains a given address. */
> > +    IOMMUTLBEntry (*translate)(MemoryRegion *iommu, target_phys_addr_t
> > addr,
> > +                               bool is_write);
> > +};
>
> Do map/unmap still make sense in this model?  Ben & David, what were
> your plans there?

To keep it under the rug for as long as we could ? :-)

The problem with map and unmap is invalidations. How do you convey to
the devices having done a map that the guest has invalidated a
translation entry.

Especially nasty on PAPR where the invalidation is a hcall which is
assumed to be synchronous.

We have simply not solved the problem for now. The risk due to the
possible access beyond the end of life of a translation is negligible as
long as we are not playing funny mapping tricks with emulated devices
(which we might do with some in the future... but not today) and the
scope of the problem is limited to the guest corrupting itself.

Cheers,
Ben.