qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Resource reporting for VGA cards

From: Hervé Poussineau
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Resource reporting for VGA cards
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:43:47 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to add support for a S3 PCI VGA card to QEMU. It currently works on some non-x86 systems. However, on x86, it seems that the card is correctly detected, but there is no display at all; I think it is due to bad framebuffer address detection.
There is some resource differences beteween QEMU vs Microsoft Virtual PC.

Resources reported by MS Windows 98 are:

Microsoft Virtual PC:
   Memory: 000A0000-000AFFFF
   Memory: 000B0000-000BFFFF
   I/O: 03B0-03BB
   I/O: 03C0-03DF
   Memory: F8000000-FBFFFFFF (I think it is the framebuffer)

QEMU:
   Memory: 000A0000-000AFFFF
   Memory: 000B0000-000BFFFF
   I/O: 03B0-03BB
   I/O: 03C0-03DF
   Memory: FD000000-FDFFFFFF (BAR0)
   Memory: 000C0000-000CFFFF (rom file?)
   Memory: 04000000-04007FFF (???)

S3 card have a BAR0 of size 0x1000000 (16MB) for the framebuffer, and ROM is created with bochs vgabios.
QEMU is launched with -m pc -device s3-trio.

Do you have an idea of what can be the last entry, and how to remove it from resource detection?
And why MS Virtual PC doesn't report ROM file, while QEMU does?

Regards,

Hervé