qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu <-> libvirt interaction broken

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu <-> libvirt interaction broken
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:47:48 -0500

Gerd Hoffmann <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/23/12 10:19, Peter Maydell wrote:

>>> Well, only problem is that 0.10.2 already is the latest libvirt release.
>>>  Was it really intentional to break things like this?
>>
>> This change was postponed to after 1.2 was released to
>> give libvirt a chance to wean itself off parsing our --help
>> output.
>
> Yea, I know this has been the plan for a long time and I agree that it
> is a good move.
>
> Only problem is that the switch didn't happen yet.  The bits might be
> landed in libvirt/master, but there is no release with this yet and thus
> libvirt versions using QOM for feature detection didn't find the way yet
> into distributions.
>
> IMO it is a bit early to stop caring about -help output compatibility in
> qemu.

It was announced.  There's been plenty of time to adapt.

If you're using QEMU from git, it's reasonable to require libvirt from
git IMHO.

By the time 1.3 goes out, there should be a libvirt release with the
necessary support so if your using distro packages, you'll never notice.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori