qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL for-1.3 0/3] seabios: q35 update

From: jbaron
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL for-1.3 0/3] seabios: q35 update
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:11:38 -0500

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 09:42:44AM -0500, Gabriel L. Somlo wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 08:40:27 +0100 Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 13:47:04 -0500, Jason Baron wrote:
> >> 2) HPET ACPI error
> >>
> >> This line: 'IRQNoFlags () {2, 8}' in the HPET acpi table is causing the
> >> folloing ACPI message (removing it makes it go away):
> >
> > Hmm.  That was added to make macos x happy and is also present on real
> > hardware, so I'm wondering what is going on here.
>
> Without that line, OS X only works as a single-core, non-SMP guest.
> This is the "legacy replacement irq mapping" option for HPET (section
> 2.4.2, page 24 of the IA-PC HPET Specification).
>
> The options are 'IRQNoFlags () {2, 8}' for "APIC mapping" or
> 'IRQNoFlags () {0, 8}' for "8259 mapping". Either one works for SMP + OS X.
>
> I don't have an XP install image anymore, but does replacing 2,8 with
> 0,8 help ?

no.

> On a few of my machines, this is actually coded as
>
>                         IRQNoFlags ()
>                             {0}                       /* or 2 */
>                         IRQNoFlags ()
>                             {8}
>
> Based on my reading of the ACPI manual, this should be syntactically
> equivalent to the the comma-separated single-line format we're currently
> using, but could it be that WinXP is picky about the specifics ?

Didn't seem to help either. I also tried having just a single irq from
0,2,8, and that didn't work either. The only thing that seems to make XP
happy is completely removing that line. So I'm not sure what is wrong.

> Also, as far as I can tell, this change never made it into the
> "q35-acpi-dsdt.dsl" file, just the "classic" acpi-dsdt.dsl (or, lately,
> acpi-dsdt-hpet.dsl). I was about to submit another patch for that, but
> now I guess I won't press it until we sort this out :)

q35-acpi-dsdt.dsl is the current sebios tree does:

#include "acpi-dsdt-hpet.dsl"

Thanks,

-Jason