qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Internal documentation

From: Michael Eager
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Internal documentation
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:57:29 -0800

On 12/12/2012 06:25 AM, Andreas Färber wrote:
Hi,

Am 11.12.2012 19:40, schrieb Michael Eager:
Is there any internal documentation for QEMU?

I'm adding support for a new processor.  I'm currently
adding semihosting support and a new command line option.
I find that I'm reading a lot of uncommented code and
trying to reverse engineer QEMU's design by reading how
various targets are implemented.

Is there a better way?

Look at the latest added target-openrisc in qemu.git and/or at my
target-rl78 at GitHub.com/afaerber/qemu-rl78/. That will also give you
some ideas how to split your new target into reviewable patches.

Thanks.  I've been using openrisc as well as others as examples.

It isn't clear whether the support will be submitted.  The target
is a proprietary processor.  So I don't get the benefit of public
review of the code.

Also look at the mailing list, you may find old/bad examples in our code
base but patch review usually points out the right ways to do things
nowadays. When in doubt, ask. :)

Thanks.

--
Michael Eager    address@hidden
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077