qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC V3 01/24] qcow2: Add deduplication to the qcow2 sp

From: Benoît Canet
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC V3 01/24] qcow2: Add deduplication to the qcow2 specification.
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:57:38 +0100

> Can you foresee the need to use a different hash algorithm in the future
> and should we add a hash_algo enum field to the dedup QCOW2 header
> extension?

Yes I foresee the future use of faster hash function like SHA3 or Skein.

I also think an alternate deduplication mechanism where lookups are done
on disk in order to be able to deduplicate very large volume could be added.

What would be the cleanest way to store this in the header extension ?
bitmaps or two char fields ?

Benoît