qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] i.MX233 / olinuxino support

From: M P
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] i.MX233 / olinuxino support
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:20:17 +0000

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11 December 2012 15:08, M P <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> "Showing 11 changed files with 2,236 additions and 0 deletions."
>>
>> That commit absolutely has to be broken up into a coherent set of
>> smaller patches; it is far too big to code review as it stands.
>

> Well I pondered that, but really I don't see how to split that since they
> are all new files.., and all the bits are part of one 'unit'.. Any
> suggestion ?

The usual approach is one of:
 * a patch per device, then one patch at the end with the board model
or if you have a lot of devices:
 * a patch per device for a few basic devices (uart etc)
 * then a patch for a board model using those and able to boot
   a very stripped down kernel
 * then add more complicated devices later, with a patch per
   device which adds the device source file and modifies the board
   model to instantiate it

Bear in mind that QEMU should compile at every stage between every
patch; it's not enough for it to just compile at the end when all
patches are applied.

Hi guys. I've reworked the patch to follow the coding rules (I hope) and split it
into devices, and verified they all work independently.

Could you please have a quick eyeball before I post the patches on the list, if
appropriate ?
I've added quite a few functional things since the last request, I got a pretty good
emulation working now.

Thanks,
Michel

thanks