qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC V4 00/30] QCOW2 deduplication

From: Benoît Canet
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC V4 00/30] QCOW2 deduplication
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 18:33:24 +0100

> How does this code handle hash collisions, and do you have some regression
> tests that purposefully create a dedup hash collision, and verify that the
> 'right thing' happens?

The two hash function that can be used are cryptographics and not broken yet.
So nobody knows how to generate a collision.

You can do the math to calculate the probability of collision using a 256 bit
hash while processing 1EiB of data the result is so low you can consider it
won't happen.
The sha256 ZFS deduplication works the same way regarding collisions.

I currently use qemu-io-test for testing purpose and iozone with the -w flag in
the guest.
I would like to find a good deduplication stress test to run in a guest.

Regards

Benoît