qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pthread_create failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pthread_create failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:50:33 +0100

Hi,

Am 02.01.2013 20:17, schrieb Christoffer Dall:
> I am seeing some brutal crashes with QEMU running virtio using KVM/ARM.
>
> The culprit seems to be when the process runs out of virtual address
> space on 32-bit systems due to some subsystem (virtio?) creating a
> large number of pthreads under heavy workloads.
>
> Unfortunately my QEMU expertise is too limited to pin-point the exact
> fix, nor do I have resources right now to go into it, but I wanted to
> raise this issue and spread general awareness.
>
> Is this a known issue or something that needs to be tracked/documented at
> least?

It is a known issue that I reported long ago, but there have been higher
priorities. ;)
Note that this failure is not specifically about creating threads but
about thread creation being one of several operations requiring some
free virtual mem, it might as well be a malloc another run. If you trace
memory usage of the process you will likely see dramatic changes over
time... why exactly is still to be investigated.

Andreas