qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC V4 01/30] qcow2: Add deduplication to the qcow2 sp

From: Benoît Canet
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC V4 01/30] qcow2: Add deduplication to the qcow2 specification.
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 15:49:14 +0100

> > +                                L2 tables size 64KB is different from
> > +                                cluster size 4KB.
>
> Umm, doesn't the cluster_bits (bytes 20-23 of the header) determine the
> size of a cluster, rather than assuming a cluster is always 4KB?  And
> later on, the spec says that "L2 tables are exactly one cluster in
> size.", so I'm not sure what this comment is doing here.  Or are you
> stating that deduplication _also_ has an L2 table, which is fixed in
> size (unlike the normal L2 table for actual data)?

As most filesystems (ntfs, ext2/3/4, xfs) use 4KB blocs the deduplication
works very well with 4KB clusters.

The problem with 4KB cluster is that L2 table allocations are done very often
and require a flush to disk which kill performance.

So my patchset break compatibility with regular qcow2 image by using 64KB L2
table which are of a different size than the 4KB cluster.

I'll let the choice for the user to choose the cluster size but will default
to 4KB when creating a deduplicated image.