qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] FDT as a git submodule?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] FDT as a git submodule?
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:11:24 +0100

Am 26.01.2013 10:13, schrieb Alexander Graf:

> Am 26.01.2013 um 03:05 schrieb Peter Crosthwaite <address@hidden>:
>
>> For us CONFIG_FDT is compulsory, we cannot build a sensible QEMU
>> without it. To make the build for us a little more user friendly could
>> we add it as a git submodule the same way as its handled for pixman?
>> By default FDT is not enable, but if at configure stage you specify
>> --enable-fdt and you dont have it, you get the instructions to
>> submodule init it? (pixman style)
>
> This really is more of a distro problem than a QEMU one. If your distro
> doesn't package libfdt, chances are quite good it just sucks. Nobody would
> think of bundling glib as a git submodule.
>
> However, I wouldn't object to a patch that uses it. Apparently sucky distros
> a quite commonly used :).

You forget that a "distro" is pretty much a Linux concept. There is no
such thing on W32 (openSUSE doesn't package it for MinGW either), and on
Darwin the various competing ports systems suck IMO.

On OpenBSD there's a "dtc" port but we'd need to assure it's installed
on the build bots before we mandate it, same for the Linux build bots.

I'm not objecting to mandating it but would like to propose to only
mandate it for the targets that need it. I.e., if no libfdt available,
don't install microblaze and ppc softmmu targets. That would still allow
the average user to emulate x86 or arm without hassles, and it should
not be needed for linux-user.

The pixman submodule has not been working well for me, it's not a
universally working solution to be copied either.

Andreas