qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] hd-geo-test failing on OpenIndiana

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] hd-geo-test failing on OpenIndiana
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:32:57 +0100

Am 28.01.2013 08:53, schrieb Markus Armbruster:
> Andreas Färber <address@hidden> writes:
> Fine print on ftruncate():
>
>     If fildes refers to a regular file, the ftruncate() function shall
>     cause the size of the file to be truncated to length.  If the size
>     of the file previously exceeded length, the extra data shall no
>     longer be available to reads on the file.  If the file previously
>     was smaller than this size, ftruncate() shall either increase the
>     size of the file or fail.  XSI-conformant systems shall increase the
>     size of the file.  If the file size is increased, the extended area
>     shall appear as if it were zero-filled. The value of the seek
>     pointer shall not be modified by a call to ftruncate().
>
> Looks like OpenIndiana got stuck in the 20th century.
>
> If you care for such losing systems,

I've been involved in the development of Haiku (BeOS-derived), and I can
assure you that writing an XSI-conformant system even in the 21st
century is not a piece of cake! ;-)

> you need create_test_img to fall
> back or switch wholesale to a less elegant way to create the image.

I'll look into Paolo's suggestion, thanks.

Wasn't aware it was trying to create a 4 GiB file, maybe my VM was just
too small...

Cheers,
Andreas