qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] KVM Call agenda 2013-01-29

From: Juan Quintela
Subject: [Qemu-devel] KVM Call agenda 2013-01-29
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:40:34 +0100

As Today there were lots of topics, here is a collapsed agenda,
basically three main topics now that Buildbot is dropped:

* Buildbot: discussed on the list (Andreas retired it)

* Replacing select(2) so that we will not hit the 1024 fd_set limit in the
  future. (stefan)

* Outstanding virtio work for 1.4
  - Multiqueue virtio-net (Amos/Michael)
  - Refactorings (Fred/Peter)
  - virtio-ccw (Cornelia/Alex)
  We need to work out the ordering here and what's reasonable to merge
  over the next week.

* What's the plan for -device and IRQ assignment? (Alex)

  We need to start coming up with a solution to connect irq lines
  between cmdline created devices and interrupt controllers. Currently,
  I'm aware of 2 potential users

  - virtio-mmio
  - device assignment on platform devices

  I see 2 options:

    - create a new platform bus that enumerates IRQs linearly, similar
      to how the ISA bus works
    - allow arbitrary irq pin connection using a global pin namespace

   Surely what you want is to specify IRQ connections via
   something like "my-uart.irq => interrupt-controller.in[14]"
   (adjust punctuation to taste)?

   They're just device-to-device connections.

   You also need some way of specifying where in a memory map
   mmio devices should live. This is a little tricky because
   you don't want to assume a global flat address space (in
   future if we get the memory APIs right then devices could be
   in the address space of just one of 4 CPUs, for instance).
      "my-uart.regs => cpu1.memory[0x4000..0x4100]" ?