qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes 2013-01-29

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes 2013-01-29
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 21:53:49 +0100

On 01/29/2013 04:41 PM, Juan Quintela wrote:
* Buildbot: discussed on the list (Andreas retired it)

* Replacing select(2) so that we will not hit the 1024 fd_set limit in the
   future. (stefan)

   Add checks for fd's bigger than 1024? multifunction devices uses lot
   of fd's for device.

   Portability?
   Use glib?  and let it use poll underneath.
   slirp is a problem.
   in the end loop: moving to a glib event loop, how we arrive there is the
discussion.

* Outstanding virtio work for 1.4
   - Multiqueue virtio-net (Amos/Michael)
     version appeared today, problably it is on mergeable state
   - Refactorings (Fred/Peter)
     unlike before the hard freeze
   - virtio-ccw (Cornelia/Alex)
     conflict with multiqueue problably (alex)
     shouldn't (famous last words)
   - Do virtio-ccw used old style virtio API, and make integrating the
     refactorings more difficult?
   - Pushing refactorings to 1.5

* What's the plan for -device and IRQ assignment? (Alex)

   Alex will fill this

When using -device, we can not specify an IRQ line to attach to the device. This works for some special buses like PCI, but not in the generic case. We need it generically for virtio-mmio and for potential platform assigned vfio devices though.

The conclusion we came up with was that in order to model IRQ lines between arbitrary devices, we should use QOM and the QOM name space. Details are up for Anthony to fill in :).

Alex