qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vCPU hotplug roadmap (was: Minutes for KVM call 2013-01

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vCPU hotplug roadmap (was: Minutes for KVM call 2013-01-15)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:49:10 -0200

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:58:56AM +0100, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Am 15.01.2013 17:16, schrieb Juan Quintela:
> >
> > * cpu hot plug
> >   - use qdev propierties conected to a set of socket objects (anthony)
> >   - cpusets are the wrong interface (anthony)
> >   - make a link between cpu <-> socket instead of a propierty?
> >   - how far are we from being able to describe a cpu with -device?
> >     (didn't heare the answer, andreas?)
> >   - perhaps the best approach?
> >   - After soft-freeze, exceptions depend on the maintainer
> >   - After hard-freeze, no exceptions
> >   -device don't require a bus, just an implementation detail, we can change
> > that
> >   - use cpuset as an intermediate step until full vision is implemented
> >   - several approaches from where we are now, to have something before
> >     we get a full solution
> >

> > At this point, Andreas agreed to write a better summary of the
> > discussion and suggestions O:-)
>
> Got buried, here we go:
>
> == vCPU hot-plug user interfaces ==
>
> === cpu_set ===
>
> Previously available in qemu-kvm.git:
> `cpu_set <n+1> online` via HMP
>
> Pros:
> * Hides QOM/qdev implementation details (afaerber)
> * Thus: Doesn't depend on QOM CPUState refactoring (imammedo)
> * Opens a fast route to implementing vCPU unplug in KVM (imammedo)
> * Unintrusive to add and easy to obsolete/remove in future (imammedo)
> * Existing virt-test cases (afaerber)
> * Supported by libvirt (imammedo)
> * Prevents confusing guests by hot-plugging random mix of CPUs (agraf)
>
> Cons:
> * Cannot express topologies (ehabkost)

Actually, I believe this is not the main problem (we will have exactly
the same limitation if using thread-level device_add). To me, the main
problem is that we are creating a new QMP command that should be
eventually obsoleted by device_add.

> === device_add ===
>
> `device_add driver=Haswell-x86_64-cpu id=qdevid`
> [You can try this today and see it failing / not working.]
>
> Pros:
> * QMP/HMP command available today and known to users (afaerber)
> * Unified command for device and CPU hot-plug (imammedo)
> * Would allow first doing thread-level vCPU hotplug (imammedo)
> * Could be extended to support socket-level hot-plug (aliguori/imammedo)
>
> Cons:
> * Operates on raw QOM type name unlike -cpu (afaerber)
> * Needs support in libvirt for device_add driver=<CPU> (imammedo)
> * libvirt needs means to enumerate CPU types (imammedo) => QMP? (AF)
>
> Challenges:
> * No CPU qbus (afaerber)
>   => "should work" without (aliguori)
> * CPU subclasses needed for identifying type name (afaerber/imammedo)
>   => "Haswell-x86_64-cpu" does not exist yet, just "x86_64-cpu"
> * CPU class_init for -cpu host requires KVM init (imammedo)
>   [suggestion by ehabkost to use kvm_arch_vcpu_init, WIP by afaerber]

I don't know what you mean by "use kvm_arch_vcpu_init()". I sent a RFC
following somebody's suggestion of simply make kvm_arch_init() call a
function to finish the -cpu host initialization, as we can't initialize
everything inside class_init.

See x86_cpu_finish_host_class_init() at:
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/186778

> * Conversion of CPU features to static properties needed (imammedo)
>   => device_add driver=foo,level=x,xlevel=y,...
> * Alternatively conversion to global properties (imammedo)
> * Cements type names - rename for 1.4? (afaerber) => permissable (alig.)
>   [patches for arm, m68k, openrisc, unicore32 on list]
>
> === qom-set ===
>
> `qom-set` via QMP w/ link<CPUSocket> property (aliguori)
>
> Topology represented in QOM:
> CPUSocket has-a    CPUCore has-a    CPUThread a.k.a. CPUState, or
> CPUSocket links-to CPUCore links-to CPUThread a.k.a. CPUState
>
> Challenges (afaerber):
> * No CPUSocket/CPUCore objects yet and may take a while to get there...
>   topology fields being moved to CPUState for 1.4 [done, more WIP]
> * No decisions on canonical paths for CPUs: CPU? machine? unassigned?
> * Duality of thread-level device types and socket-level? (afaerber)
>   => fine to have, e.g., quad-core Xeon 500 device (aliguori)
> * CPUState is no_user (afaerber)
>   => need to generally drop no_user for QOM (aliguori)

I would like to drop no_user on 1.5 even if we don't manage to finish
CPU hotplug, as exposing the CPU objects and classes will be very useful
to allow libvirt to probe for the available CPU models and features.

--
Eduardo