qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes 2013-01-29 - Port I/O

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes 2013-01-29 - Port I/O
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:45:40 +0100

  Hi,

> hw/qxl.c:    portio_list_add(qxl_vga_port_list,
> pci_address_space_io(dev), 0x3b0);
> hw/vga.c:        portio_list_add(vga_port_list, address_space_io, 0x3b0);

That reminds me I should solve this in a more elegant way.

qxl takes over the vga io ports.  The reason it does this is because qxl
switches into vga mode in case the vga ports are accessed while not in
vga mode.  After doing the check (and possibly switching mode) the vga
handler is called to actually handle it.

That twist makes it a bit hard to convert vga ...

Anyone knows how one would do that with the memory api instead? I think
taking over the ports is easy as the memory regions have priorities so I
can simply register a region with higher priority. I have no clue how to
forward the access to the vga code though.

Anyone has clues / suggestions?

thanks,
  Gerd