qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] patch to fix EXC_BAD_ACCESS on Mac OS X

From: Christopher Friedt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] patch to fix EXC_BAD_ACCESS on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:38:53 -0500

Hi Peter,

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> OSX generally works for me, with some caveats:
>  * current master doesn't compile because of a recent patch
>    related to ffsl; this should be fixed soon I hope.

I'll have to check out master again. Currently I'm using 1.3.0, but
the ffsl issue
doesn't seem like it would be hard to fix at all.

>  * running under gdb seems to cause failures which don't
>    happen running not under a debugger. In particular it
>    seems that sigwait() is broken by gdb (?!?) in a way that
>    means it can return zero without setting *sig. A lack
>    of error checking on the return value from sigaction()
>    in sigfd_handler() means we then go off into the weeds.

Funny that you mention Mac OS X gdb, because I only ever did see a
segfault when I was debugging. I'm glad I wasn't the only one seeing
something unexpected. I'm sure Apple just markets that as a feature.

>  * for some reason sending qemu a SIGTERM doesn't cause us
>    to terminate. I've had difficulty tracking down the issues
>    due to the aforementioned tendency of macos gdb to bork
>    signalhandling of the debuggee.

Yea, SIGKILL seems to work well though ;-)

> PS: you might like to read our guidelines for patch
> submission; your patch failed several of them...
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch

I believe it - I posted it quickly before running out the door this morning.

Is there a more-or-less reliable build that's working for Mac?