qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Kernel kvm config

From: Johan & Katrien Dewaele²
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Kernel kvm config
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:59:42 +0100

Hi,

I use qem-kvm version 1.1.2 on debian testing with kernel 3.6.8. On this kernel the kvm-modules load ok:
$ lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_intel 114592 0
kvm 219460 1 kvm_intel

My hardware should support this also :

$ egrep --color "vmx|svm" /proc/cpuinfo
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority

I tried last week to upgrade to kernel 3.7.8 (trying to solve another problem), downloaded from kernel.org. As I get, during boot, an error "Failed to load module kvm_intel" , I checked the kernel config and to my surprise I can not select the kvm nor kvm_intel modules anymore during configuration in menuconfig on this new kernel. This is what I see:

--- Virtualization │ │
│ │ <M> Host kernel accelerator for virtio net (EXPERIMENTAL) │ │
│ │ < > Linux hypervisor example code │ │
│ │

Are these modules kvm /kvm_intel no longer there/needed? Do these modules depend on another option in kernel ?
I do see newest qemu version is already at 1.4.
Any pointer is appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Johan