qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] [edk2] (PAM stuff) reset doesn't work on OVMF

From: Kevin O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] [edk2] (PAM stuff) reset doesn't work on OVMF + SeaBIOS CSM
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 14:11:51 -0500

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 07:04:08PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Well, what SeaBIOS already *does* is bash on the keyboard controller to
> cause a reset. Which *ought* to work too; I have a patch to at least fix
> *that*, by resetting the PAM setup in the i440.

The thing to be aware of here is that not all resets are equal.  There
is old code out there that will force a reset to go from 80386 mode to
8086 mode (or was it 286 to 8086?).  So, some resets are really
resumes (which must not alter memory) and some are real resets.  It's
a mystery to me which is which, but I know this came up the last time
the QEMU reset logic was discussed.

-Kevin