qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] how to ues qemu -sd option?

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] how to ues qemu -sd option?
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:18:05 +0100

Weng Fan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all:
> I want to use the qemu's -sd option to  emulate a sd card, so that I
> can get more free space.
> When I use the command "qemu-system-ppc -M mpc8544ds -kernel uImage
> -initrd initrd.img
> -append "root=/dev/ram rdinit=/linuxrc" -nographic -sd sd.img" to
> start the kernel image, I can't
> find any device like mmcblk in the /dev .
>
> Any ideas how to get this work?

"-sd sd.img" is shorthand for "-drive if=sd,index=0,file=sd.img".  Like
all -drive (except for if=none), it requests the board to create a
suitable device.  Boards act on some requests, and ignore others.
mpc8544ds ignores if=sd.

To add devices beyond what the board code can do, use -device, like
this:

    -drive if=none,id=sd0,file=sd.img -device DEV-MODEL,drive=sd0

with a suitable sd card DEV-MODEL.  However, I'm not aware of an sd card
device model that can be plugged that way.  Perhaps Andreas (cc'ed)
knows more.

See also docs/qdev-device-use.txt section "Block Devices".