qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK UI is now the default

From: mdroth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK UI is now the default
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:07:09 -0600

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 04:48:47PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > It really breaks window manager key bindings.  If you alt-tab between
> > windows and you happen to end up with the window under your mouse,
> > alt-tab stops working.
> >
> > I think as the default behavior, you want the least amount of
> > surprises.  To me alt-tab not working is a pretty big surprise.
>
> Alt-tab moving you away from the guest is just as much a surprise. :)

True, but if you're interacting with a guest to the extent that you're
alt-tabbing around, it's not an unreasonable expectation that the user
initiate a screen-grab aforetime. A shiny "grab/ungrab screen" button
might also help to set expectations in advance.

Keeping your mouse away from the window isn't quite as easy/predictable.
You might do it by accident while switching through workspaces for instance,
or by closing out a different app if you're using a tiling window manager.

It's not a huge deal either way if it's configurable and persistant, but
IMO there's more rationale for disabling grab-on-hover by default.