qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Block I/O optimizations

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Block I/O optimizations
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 13:10:18 +0200

On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 11:35:27AM +0200, Abel Gordon wrote:

> Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden>  wrote on 01/03/2013 12:54:54 PM:

> go.
> > >
> > > Maybe it is worth checking...
> > > We did experiments using vhost-net and vhost-blk. We measured and
> compared
> > > the traditional model (kernel thread per VM/virtual device) to the
> > > shared-thread model with fine-grained I/O scheduling (single kernel
> thread
> > > used to serve multiple VMs). We noticed improvements up-to 2.5x
> > > in throughput and almost half the latency when running up-to 14 VMs.
> >
> > Can you post patches?
>
> We will publish the code soon but note the patches are for vhost
> kernel back-end and not for the qemu user-space back-end.

Yes, this is one of the fields where the asynchronous interface
of vhost could be helpful, abstracting the threading model
away from the application.

The main challenge with sharing threads is handling things like cpu
limits and swap access. They normally send the current thread to sleep
and let another thread run, but if VMs share a thread, this becomes a
problem.  Could be solvable by detecting such conditions and moving
other VMs to per-VM threads, but I haven't seen such patches yet.