qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio-rng and fd passing

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio-rng and fd passing
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:57:13 -0700

[adding libvirt]

On 03/03/2013 02:05 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Il 02/03/2013 04:13, Anthony Liguori ha scritto:
>>> There is no valid use-case of rng-random other than using /dev/random.
>>> In fact, it was probably a mistake to even allow a filename to be
>>> specified because it lets people do silly things (like /dev/urandom).
>>>
>>> If you want anything other than /dev/random, you should use rng-egd.
>>
>> /dev/hwrng makes sense too.
>
> Good point.  Perhaps we should issue a warning when anything is used
> other than /dev/random or /dev/hwrng to discourage people from doing the
> wrong thing.  I completely understand the confusion and I think we
> should try a bit harder to prevent people from getting it wrong.

Then libvirt should also make sure that the XML we allow for non-egd
virtio-rng is restricted to the two filenames that won't cause a qemu
warning, or even modify the XML to not expose a filename in the first
place.  We haven't released libvirt 1.0.3 yet, so we still have a few
hours in which such a change could be made before the XML becomes baked
by a release.