qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Dataplane and vhost-blk

From: Benoît Canet
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Dataplane and vhost-blk
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 15:18:46 +0100

Hello,

I am looking for a way to help improving qemu block performance.

APIC-V is a work in progress and the two options with public code are vhost-*
and virtio-blk-dataplane.

The way of doing seems very similar (bypassing the qemu lock) and dedicating
a thread to each emulated virtio block device.

vhost-* is in kernel while dataplane is in qemu.

Performance seems similar.

Dataplane seems to be a demonstrator to be replaced by an evolution of the
qemu block layer made thread friendly and vhost-blk is not upstream yet.

This left me with the following questions :

Are dataplane and vhost-block purpose the same (speed) despite being pushed
by the same company (Red Hat) ?

What is the best path I can take to help improve qemu block performance ?

Best regards

Benoît