qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Why is the dummy device hw/testdev excluded in higher versi

From: Qiu, Shuang
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Why is the dummy device hw/testdev excluded in higher version of qemu?
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:27:23 +0000

Hello everyone,

I’m now doing regression tests on qemu 1.4.5. My test cases is written regarding 1.2.5, so I use testdev as a dummy device with a chardev specified to output system log.

The old command is like this:

qemu-system-x86_64 –device testdev,chardev=testlog -chardev file,id=testlog,path=log.out -serial stdio

-kernel test_kernel -cpu host --enable-kvm

When I now develop on qemu 1.4.5, I suddenly find the testdev is excluded from the source.

Now, when I perform the regression test, an error is issued:

qemu-system-x86_64 –device testdev,chardev=testlog -chardev file,id=testlog,path=log.out -serial stdio

-kernel test_kernel -cpu host --enable-kvm
qemu-system-x86_64: -device testdev,chardev=testlog: Parameter 'driver' expects
device type

Instead, I find pc-testdev is added. Any reason behind this? Why and when did testdev removed from the code?

Thanks and Best Regards!

Shuang