qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The state of testing

From: Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The state of testing
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:54:06 -0300

On 03/05/2013 07:11 AM, Amit Shah wrote:
On (Mon) 04 Mar 2013 [16:53:55], Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
People are working on testing for various parts of QEMU.  I started
this thread to gather an update on the state of testing and see where
we still need help.

I'm not sure yet if we should propose Google Summer of Code projects
to help with the testing infrastructure.  Perhaps working on libqtest
support for PCI, USB, virtio, etc would be a cool project.

Buildbot
------------
The buildbot performs nightly builds and "make check".  Test coverage
is still minimal but it's a starting point where we can add more tests
that will run every day.

Block
--------
tests/qemu-iotests/ contains 49 tests for the block layer.  These
tests mostly cover image format features like backing files,
snapshots, resize, and basic I/O verify tests.

The test suite has a few areas for improvement:

1. aio is not well-supported.  We need to be able to control the order
in which asynchronous requests complete in order to test all possible
code paths.  This issue also means the current aio tests are not
deterministic and can fail randomly due to reordered output.

2. make check-block is not run by the buildbot.  We should do so to
get nightly coverage of basic qcow2 tests.  I will send a buildbot
config patch to fix this.

Net
---
No tests!

How are things looking with device emulation, migration, monitor, char, etc?

I have a few tests coded up for virtio-serial at

http://fedorapeople.org/cgit/amitshah/public_git/test-virtserial.git/

which indirectly test chardevs.

Autotest (virt-tests) also has virtio-serial tests which end up
testing chardevs.

chardevs, being an external interface to qemu, do get tested whenever
anyone starts qemu with e.g. libvirt.

Also, autotest has libvirt-based tests, which exercise the monitor.
However, I don't think there's anything comprehensive anywhere.

The virtio console tests span over 130 tests, and take ~4 hours to run, I'd consider they are comprehensive.