qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEmu TCG SIMD extension?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEmu TCG SIMD extension?
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 11:47:58 +0800

On 6 March 2013 11:30, 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) <address@hidden> wrote:
> While searching for QEMU SIMD issues, I found there was a paper presented
> in 2011 [1], and the source code is also public on [2]. However, it seems
> this project doesn't make any progress since last year. I update their
> change to upstream and you can download from here:
>
>   $ git clone git://github.com/azru0512/qemu.git -b neon-simd
>
> Sadly, it can not boot the kernel image provided on [2]. Anyway, I
> found there was only one thread has discussion on their work [3]. I want
> to hear more feedback on their idea on adding SIMD TCG IR.

I think my opinions are still the same -- interesting idea, but getting
it to work with a set of IR ops which aren't target or host specific
and getting it to give correct bit-for-bit results, rounding, flags,
etc, is likely to be tricky. It would also be important to determine
first whether Neon (or other SIMD) emulation performance is truly
a major bottleneck.

-- PMM