qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cross-compiling QEMU for ARM

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cross-compiling QEMU for ARM
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:01:11 +0000

On 11 March 2013 01:59, Peter Crosthwaite <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Oh, and I forgot -- don't try to build system emulators with --static:
>> it's only really meant for the linux-user targets. Do specify
>
> Works for us quite nicely. Any known issues here or reasons why system
> emulators shouldn't be built static?

System emulation uses a lot more of glib and also various glibc
functions that will do dynamic loading anyhow (eg NSS functions).
[You'll note that at the linking stage there are warnings about
this.] I trust linux-user's code to be minimal enough that it
doesn't do anything bad or that won't work, and it's a well used
and tested config to use linux-user static. System mode touches
much more of glib/glibc and also links against more external
library code; also compiling it static is less common
and less useful. Basically my impression is that it's not a
"supported" config (to the extent that as upstream we support
anything ;-)), so I prefer to recommend against using it,
especially when it's unclear that somebody actually needs it
at all.

-- PMM