qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [with today's upstream git] Invoking QMP via telnet fai

From: Kashyap Chamarthy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [with today's upstream git] Invoking QMP via telnet fails to start VNC
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:39:57 +0530

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
> Kashyap Chamarthy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Heya,
>>
>> After building qemu, I tried to invoke QMP by via telnet:
>
> Exact version, please.  Commit hash if you build from git.
>
>> Build:
>> ==========
>>  #./configure --target-list=x86_64-softmmu --disable-werror
>> --enable-debug ; make -j5
>> ==========
>>
>> Invoke QMP:
>> ==========
>> address@hidden ./x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -smp 2
>> -m 2048 /export/images/el6box1.qcow2 -qmp tcp:localhost:4444,server
>> --monitor stdio
>> QEMU waiting for connection on: tcp:127.0.0.1:4444,server
>
> I get
>
>     QEMU waiting for connection on: tcp::127.0.0.14444,server
>
> Note the misplaced colon.  Screwed up in commit f6bd5d6e back in
> December (I checked).  Leads me to believe you're using old code.

Ah, now see, thank you. I did a 'git pull' on my older tree, not sure
how it got screwed up, but I can't even seem to run the configure
script as of now on that tree.

>> Failed to start VNC server on `localhost:0,to=99': error parsing to= argument
>
> This error comes from inet_parse().  Looks like you compiled so that VNC
> is the default display.  I have no idea why it can't parse that;
> explicit "-vnc localhost:0,to=99" works for me.  The error is not fatal,
> you just don't get a working display.  It should not affect the QMP
> socket at all.
>
>> address@hidden
>> ==========
>>
>> The moment I tried to connect via telnet from a different terminal, it
>> fails this way:
>> ==========
>> address@hidden telnet localhost 4444
>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>> Connected to localhost.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>> address@hidden
>
> Any output from QEMU when this happens?

Nothing specific, just what I noted above.

At the moment, QMP works just fine with a new clone. I'll post with
further information, if I hit it again.

Thanks Markus (and Stefan Hajnoczi) for answering my questions on IRC.

>> Any hints ?  I'm sure this worked for few weeks ago.

/kashyap