qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] BUG: RTC issue when Windows guest is idle

From: Matthew Anderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] BUG: RTC issue when Windows guest is idle
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 04:15:10 +0000

Thanks for the suggestion but so far it hasn't made any difference.

I thought I may be an issue with the mainline kernel I was using so I changed
over to Ubuntu 12.10 and QEMU 1.2.0. Stability is slightly better but I still
get 2-3 VM's a day out of about 120 experiencing this bug in the exact same way
as before.  Time in the guest simply stop's ticking over and when you attempt
to interact with the VM the lost ticks get replayed as fast as possible.
Because of the time being out practically nothing works as it breaks crypto
support (as well as practically everything else).

In addition to what I posted previously I've tried -
Setting the CPU type to host, qemu64 and kvm64
Setting the machine type to 0.14, 0.15, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 (plus 1.3 and 1.4 from
previous testing)
With and without the HPET timer using combinations of the above

The settings I'm using work fine on the Centos 6.3 (2.6.32) kernel and QEMU
1.4.0. I've only had this problem since upgrading the kernel which is the only
evidence I have of it being a kernel/KVM bug. I'm incredibly desparate for any
solution or advice that may lead to getting this problem sorted,I'm getting a
tyrade of angry phone called every morning that's making me want to go postal.

Thanks
-Matt