qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] kvm suspend performance

From: Thomas Knauth
Subject: [Qemu-devel] kvm suspend performance
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:24:59 +0100

Dear all,

lately I've been playing around with qemu's/kvm's suspend (to disk) and resume. My initial expectation was that both operations are I/O bound. So it surprised me to see that suspend to disk seems to be CPU-bound. Suspending a VM with 1.5 GB memory takes 55 seconds. This works out to less than 30 MB/s. Again, I was expecting to be I/O bound and reach 100 MB/s (and more). I am talking to qemu/kvm via libvirt. Not sure if this matters.

I am looking for a hint what the issue could be here. Hopefully with pointers to the (offending) code.

Thanks,
Thomas.