qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu / seabios ACPI table interface

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu / seabios ACPI table interface
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:16:07 +0100

Il 22/03/2013 17:09, Laszlo Ersek ha scritto:
> I'm confused. What are the requirements?
>
> (1) should unpatched qemu work with patched seabios?

Yes.

> (2) should patched qemu work with unpatched seabios?

No.

> Considering patched qemu + patched seabios,
> (3) should qemu dynamically control table origin/contents per table?

Not sure I understand this?

> (4) should qemu be able to suppress/disable a seabios table via fw_cfg
> without providing a replacement?

QEMU should be able to suppress all SeaBIOS tables except for the four
tables you identified.  Once the transition is done, a special fw_cfg
file (or alternatively a SeaBIOS/OVMF patch) would direct SeaBIOS to not
create _any_ ACPI table except those four.

> I had thought:
> (1) yes (firmware upgrade on same hardware),
> (2) no (hardware upgrade),
> (3) yes (eases development and ultimately covers everything),
> (4) no (*)

Three out of four, you're probably right on (3) too. :)

Paolo