qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Use of flash for x86 BIOS

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Use of flash for x86 BIOS
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 20:48:15 +0100

Jordan Justen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>> x86 maintainers may wish to *switch it off* until it's done fully and
>> properly, by setting "pc-sysfw" property "rom_only" to 1.
>
> This would completely disable the flash support.

Unless the user enables it explicitly with something like "-global
pc-sysfw.rom_only=0".

>                                                  At the time this
> feature was added, I think it was well understood that kvm would not
> support the flash mode, while plain qemu could. If it was not a
> show-stopper to integrating the feature originally, what has changed?

Nothing changed, and that's the problem.

Merging the feature was okay, I think.  Defaulting it to "on" with TCG
and "off" with KVM was a mistake, because that made enabling/disabling
KVM guest-visible (see item 2. below).  The default needs to be the same
both with and without KVM.  Since the thing still doesn't work with KVM,
the default needs to be "off".

A possible explanation for making this mistake is that people assumed it
would soon work with KVM.  That turned out not to be the case.

Have you discussed your difficulties on address@hidden