qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vNVRAM / blobstore design

From: mdroth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vNVRAM / blobstore design
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:07:59 -0500

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 05:30:09PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:20:43AM -0400, Corey Bryant wrote:

> > >The max number of blobs and frequency of usage depends on the usage
> > >scenario and NVRAM size.  But that's probably obvious.
> > >
> > >I think we should focus on worst case scenarios where NVRAM is filled up
> > >and used frequently.
> > >
> > >One example is that an application can use TSS APIs to define, undefine,
> > >read, and write to the TPM's NVRAM storage.  (The TPM owner password is
> > >required to define NVRAM data.)  An application could potentially fill
> > >up NVRAM and frequently store, change, retrieve data in various places
> > >within NVRAM.  And the data could have various sizes.
> > >
> > >For an example of total NVRAM size, Infineon's TPM has 16K of NVRAM.
> > >
> > >--
> > >Regards,
> > >Corey Bryant
> > >

> > I just wanted to add that we could really use some direction on
> > which way the community would prefer we go with this.  The 2 options
> > that are on the table at the moment for encoding/decoding the vNVRAM
> > byte stream are BER or JSON visitors.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Corey Bryant
>
> I think I like BER better. JSON seems like a bad fit for a
> bunch of binary blobs.

I agree, but I also think that if we use visitors it shouldn't matter
what visitor implementation we use on the backend. It might be a good
idea to build the code around a stable, existing visitor implementation
like the JSON visitors, and then plug in a BER visitor prior to merge
(or after, if the encoding is configurable/detectable).

If a BER visitor provides benefits over JSON (and I do see that being the
case here) and is general enough that it's interchangeable with a JSON
visitor, then I don't see any reason that code wouldn't stand on it's own
rather than as a prereq for vTPM/nvram.