qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vNVRAM / blobstore design

From: Kenneth Goldman
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vNVRAM / blobstore design
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:20:41 -0400

> Yea it's not hard to invent a random format each time we write something
> on disk.

> But I think ASN.1 BER will be useful to have in qemu anyway.  E.g. it's a
> better format for migration than what we have now.  Once we have it in
> tree re-using it seems cleaner than maintaining some per-TPM thing.

The DER can be reused, but someone has to go through every possible TPM
structure that could be written to NV and define ASN.1 for it.  Even more work
is writing tests for all the corner cases.

I wasn't suggesting inventing a random format, but rather using the native TPM
binary formats that are part of its standard and for which implementation and
test code will already exist.