qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] (target-arm) Patch for instruction-level tracing, any i

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] (target-arm) Patch for instruction-level tracing, any interest?
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 10:50:14 +0100

On 5 April 2013 07:59, Japheth Lim <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have written a patch for the ARM TCG that prints the program
> counter and any load/store addresses for every instruction that's
> run. We use this feature to get detailed traces of our ARM programs.
>
> We can tidy up and submit the patch; is there any interest in this
> feature?

I think I would really only be interested if it was a generic
feature that worked for all target-* CPU frontends (and which
wasn't too intrusive, and was enablable at runtime, not compile
time).

Wanting to do this sort of tracing is quite a common thing I think;
the difficulty is doing it as a long-term maintainable generic
feature.

-- PMM