qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtualbox svga card in KVM

From: Sriram Murthy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtualbox svga card in KVM
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:05:19 -0700 (PDT)

The Virtualbox SVGA card was derived out of the KVM VGA card, so there are
quite a few similarities (I am deliberately being vague here as I am still in
the process of discovering the features of both these cards completely). Having
said that, the APIs and the data structures themselves have been modified to
add new features (like displaying a custom bmp as the VGA bootup logo) and it
has a custom vga bios as well.
Also, it is better that it be its own separate device model, so that
maintenance of the vbox code becomes easier later. Further, I am thinking on
the lines of retaining the VIrtualbox SVGA card code as is, and write a small
KVM abstraction layer, so that it will be easy to port the bug fixes into the
vbox SVGA card later on.
Any comments/suggestions welcome here.

-Sriram