qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO-VGA Issue

From: deniv
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO-VGA Issue
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:32:07 -0400 (EDT)

>> However, turning gfx_passthru off did
>> the trick. Win7 started loading with cirrus and switched to HD7750
>> halfway
>> through boot proccess. I didn't do any testing just let Windows
>> calculate
>> its score. The result was 7.4 and Aero was working.
>
> You should be able to do this with vfio too, use -vga cirrus and don't
> use the x-vga option on pci-assign.  The x-vga enables legacy VGA
> support for boot and primary console, as a secondary head normal PCI
> device assignment should be sufficient.

Oh, how I wish it was true! Trying to load with cirrus and vfio-pci
results in BSOD:
Attemp to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

Trying the old pci-assign with kvm results in non-working GFX. Windows
shows code 10 and sometimes code 43 for the card.

P.S. I'm starting to go nuts because VGA assignment doesn't work. The
system was built with this sole intention. So, now I'm considering buying
another graphic card. Can you suggest any consumer card that is easy to
pass and can leave through vm resets? This HD7750 just hung the host when
I tried destroying Xen's VM and running it again.