qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] VNC Websocket TLS support design decisions

From: Tim Hardeck
Subject: [Qemu-devel] VNC Websocket TLS support design decisions
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:33:19 +0200

Hi,

I am working on TLS support for VNC Websockets in QEMU and while I already got it working I need to make some design decisions.

Websockets over TLS need certificates.
We already have the "x509" vnc parameter for VNC-TLS to provide the certificates but user might have one webserver certificate and one for VNC TLS authentication. Of course in this case they could use two vnc instances. The other issue is that Websockets TLS should work when vnc-tls is disabled since GnuTLS is already a requirement for Websockets anyway. Should I use this x509 certificate parameter also or add an additional parameter like "ws_x509"?

Should there be an option to only allow Websockets over TLS?
For example how to react in case of the option "tls=1".
In my current implementation the Websocket connection is checked during initiation for an encryption handshake and and then acted accordingly.

To my knowledge current HTML5 VNC clients do not support another authentication then password, so no VEncrypt. This means that if I enable tls=1 Websockets connection can't be established for this vnc instance. Should I add some workaround to use password authentication for Websockets or just document it so users could use two vnc instances for this use case?

For my implementation I am using many parts of vnc-tls. I am planning to make some functions in vnc-tls more flexible or add some checks to allow them to be used for Websocket TLS connections.
Would this be OK or do you have other suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Tim

Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
T: +49 (0) 911 74053-0  F: +49 (0) 911 74053-483
http://www.suse.de/