qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for VNC LED state extension proposal

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for VNC LED state extension proposal
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 08:45:47 +0200

  Hi,

>> What is your vnc client?  Does it support VNC_ENCODING_EXT_KEY_EVENT?
>
> It's uses gvnc as a protocol library and renders via fbdev.  It reads
> keyboard events by putting /dev/tty into mediumraw mode and uses ext key
> events exclusively.  It has no knowledge of the guest keymap.

Neat.  URL?

Does the linux kernel keep track of {caps,num}lock state (+leds) with
the keyboard in mediumraw mode?  Or does it expect the userspace app set
the led state then?

No UI client (neither vnc nor spice) knows the guest keymap btw.

> I believe VMware already has a VNC extension for passing LED state
> changes and I think having an open extension for this is a Good Thing.
> It's a pretty obvious missing piece in the VNC protocol.

Anyone tried to bug vmware to open the specs for the existing extension?

cheers,
  Gerd