qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SoC Idea: Xbox target

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SoC Idea: Xbox target
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:27:10 +0200

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Niel van der Westhuizen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> So I've been lazily hacking away on https://github.com/espes/xqemu for the
> last few months. It's a target for the original Xbox in Qemu - it's kind of
> a neat fit, since the Xbox was mostly an nForce 420 PC. It'd be awesome to
> have helping out on this as a listed Summer of Code project idea. (mainly so
> I could apply for it ;)

What is the current status of the xbox target and what would a 12-week
GSoC project accomplish?  The scope of the project needs to be clearly
defined so this information is critical.

> Thing is, for this to be a Qemu project it'd need to be viable to be merged
> into Qemu eventually. Unfortunately so far my implementation has been far
> from clean-room, which could possibly be risky legally, I dono:
>     -The binaries I've been referencing while reverse engineering are from
> the Xbox development kit software (since they conveniently include symbols)
> that, while mostly widely available, aren't exactly public.
>     -The current implementation of the GPU
> (https://github.com/espes/xqemu/blob/xbox/hw/nv2a.c) and APU
> (https://github.com/espes/xqemu/blob/xbox/hw/mcpx_apu.c) use register names
> verbatim from a leaked register listing. If it makes a difference, most of
> the GPU names could already be figured out from a combination of registers
> documented in nouveau, registers listed in Dxbx (another Xbox emulator,
> "uNV2A.pas"), a published register listing found in an old nvidia sdk
> ("nv10reg.h"), and enums in the debug files in the Xbox development kit
> software.

Are just those two files questionable?  Could they be replaced with
something that does not draw from leaked material?

Stefan