qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v4 07/11] rdma: introduce capability for chunk re

From: Michael R. Hines
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v4 07/11] rdma: introduce capability for chunk registration
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 12:05:08 -0400

On 04/21/2013 09:19 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 20/04/2013 19:02, Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:
I guess the opposite sense could be named 'x-rdma-pin-all'; default
false means to do chunk registration and release,
chunk release only happens after migration is complete unfortunately.
This means that eventually all initialized memory is pinned, regardless
of the setting (this is fixable but there's no plan to fix this, at this
point). So pin-all might be misleading to some.

I agree 'chunk' is unnecessarily low level though.
The only difference ATM is pinning of uninitialized memory so I think a
better name would be 'x-rdma-pin-uninitialized' or some such.

x-rdma-pin-all is a better choice.  x-rdma-pin-uninitialized is also too
low level.

Since this series is likely to miss 1.5 at this point, we could
implement the unregistration part of the protocol in the destination.
This way, any heuristic we add to the source will not break backwards
compatibility.

Paolo

The release cycles are relatively fast, according to the website, so
I don't have any problem with missing 1.5 to make sure that everybody
is happy and have had a chance to test the software.

But: Let me repeat: we have already discussed in previous emails that
ibv_reg_mr() => error + notify source + aborted migration would
be an adequate solution for merging.

Also: let me repeat: We have no intention nor plans (at least not
from IBM research) to promise to develop nor even explore the
effects of unregistration in the RDMA protocol as we have zero data
to show that it does not adversely affect the performance of the solution.

Unless someone puts in the man-hours to show hard data (even with
micro-benchmark) that migration throughput and migration latency
performance and migration convergence are not unaffected by such a
change in the protocol, then such a change would have to be implemented
as a patch by another member of the community and an option be clearly made
in the QEMU monitor so that it could be disabled if the user chose to do so.

- Michael