qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] About network bridge.

From: Yaodong Yang
Subject: [Qemu-devel] About network bridge.
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 09:54:02 -0500

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reading my email. I got a question about the network bridge in qemu-kvm.

When I start my vm using virsh start vm2 or virt-manager, the vm's network is working. I can access the internet within the vm.
However, we I start the same vm using qemu-system-x86_64 vm2.img -m 1024. The vm can run but without internet access. I do not know the reason, can someone give me a direction?

The procedure to set up the system.
1. install the host os, set up bridge networking.
2. use virt-manager create guest vm, choose bridge network in the creation option of virt-manager.
3. run the guest vm.

My system configuration is as follows:

1. Host OS, Ubuntu 12.10 server with a kubuntu-desktop.
2. QEMU-KVM version is 1.2.0.
3. Host network configuration is bridge type, as follows:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto em1
iface em1 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
        dns-nameservers 129.93.6.189

        bridge_ports em1
        bridge_fd 9
        bridge_hello 2
        bridge_maxage 12
        bridge_stp off

4. Guest OS ubuntu-server 12.10. network configuration is as follows:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.12
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
        dns-nameservers 129.93.6.189

Thanks!

Best,
Yaodong