qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Disk-Level Introspection to QEMU

From: Wolfgang Richter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Disk-Level Introspection to QEMU
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:11:26 -0400

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Wolfgang Richter <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
Eric's suggestion to use NBD makes sense to me.  The block-backup code
can be extended fairly easier using sync mode=none (do not perform a
background copy of the entire disk) and by disabling the bitmap
(essentially "tap" mode).

Also, as another thought, I think I can actually use the bitmap to implement
an optimization.  In my code, I already use a bitmap to determine which
sectors I want to introspect (ignoring portions of the disk greatly reduces
required bandwidth and overhead; swap space for example isn't generally
interesting unless you can interpret memory as well).   So I think I can adapt
my code here as well.