qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] target-tilera - a new emulated architecture in qemu

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] target-tilera - a new emulated architecture in qemu
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:08:26 +0200

Hi,

Am 24.04.2013 16:16, schrieb Sarmad Tanwir:

>> I am in process of adding a new target architecture named Tilera to
>> qemu for emulation purpose. Until now, I have been working offline
>> i.e. without submitting any patches or any comments from the community.
>>
>> I am almost done with definition of processor state and ISA
>> translation (except floating point instructions).
>>
>> I have a new folder named target-tilera with a list of files:-
>>
>> cpu-qom.h
>> cpu.c
>> cpu.h
>> tile-desc_64.c
>> tile-desc_64.h
>> translate.c
>>
>> The contents of the Makefile.objs in this directory have also been
>> changed to:-
>> obj-$(CONFIG_SOFTMMU) += machine.o
>> obj-y += translate.o helper.o cpu.o
>> obj-y += tile-desc_32.o tile-desc_64.o
>>
>> *Can anyone help me from here? As, a first step I need to modify the
>> configure script and the Makefiles to use the qemu build system.*

Please read the comments in the list archive that other recently
introduced targets such as moxie and openrisc got.

For instance, I pointed out that new targets don't need a qom-cpu.h file
- you can just place everything into cpu.h if you do a sane grouping.

There was a discussion about CPU VMState and the plan to handle it
differently for new targets - moxie still used the old way, openrisc is
broken, and we don't have patches for a new VMSTATE_CPU() macro yet that
alpha, openrisc and new targets were envisioned to use. Either way
machine.c is a bad name and should rather be cpu-vmstate.c (if you can't
just place it into cpu.c - depends on how much state you have).

Without seeing what you have, it's hard to help. Just look at commits
that introduced the existing targets, get target-tilera compiling and
post RFC patches for review then. We're currently in Soft Freeze before
the 1.5 release, so new targets won't get applied immediately anyway.

Regards,
Andreas