qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Continuous work on sandboxing

From: Paul Moore
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Continuous work on sandboxing
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:24:23 -0400

On Monday, April 29, 2013 05:52:10 PM Corey Bryant wrote:
> On 04/26/2013 05:07 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> > [snip]

> > I think patching all the libraries is a losing battle, I think we need to
> > pursue alternate debugging techniques.
>
> I agree.  It would be nice to have some sort of learning mode that
> reported all denied syscalls on a single run, but signal handlers
> doesn't seem like the right way.  Maybe we could improve on this
> approach, since it never gained traction: https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/1/7/313
>
> At least we can get a single denied syscall at a time today via the
> audit log that the kernel issues.  Eduardo, you may want to see if
> there's a good place to document that for QEMU so that people know where
> to look.

Lately I've been using the fact that the seccomp BPF filter result generates
an audit log; it either dumps to syslog or the audit log (depending on your
configuration) and seems to accomplish most of what we wanted with
SECCOMP_RET_INFO.

I'm always open to new/better ideas, but this has been working reasonably well
for me for the past few months.

--
paul moore
security and virtualization @ redhat